Read Our Reviews!
Those yellowing tiles in your bathroom have carved out a permanent residence. They've become such a fixture that you might only give them a hard scrub when expecting guests. It's easy to dismiss the discoloration as a sign of aging tiles. But what if the reasons behind that yellow hue are more complex than simple wear and tear?
Does the sight of those yellowing tiles unsettle you each time you step into the shower? Are you scouring the internet, hoping to find a remedy?
This post identifies the problem and provides remedies to your problem.
The yellowing of bathroom tiles is a common issue among homeowners. It's essential to identify the primary causes to address them effectively:
Hard water has minerals like calcium and magnesium that stay on the tiles after the water evaporates. These minerals build up over time and make the tiles look yellowish. However, using hard water removers can harm some types of tiles. These removers are acidic and can damage the protective seals on grout and granite. They can also erode marble, limestone, and travertine quickly and severely.
Bathrooms are ideal for mold and mildew to grow due to the warm and moist environment. However, mold and mildew can cause discoloration of the tiles, ranging from yellow to red, green, and black, making your bathroom look dirty and unappealing. You need a powerful and safe cleaner to remove mold and mildew to keep your tiles clean and looking new. MARBLELIFE MOLD & MILDEW CLEANER is a reliable industry super-performer that can eliminate mold and mildew from any tile. It is gentle on your tiles and won't damage their surface or seal. Give MARBLELIFE MOLD & MILDEW CLEANER a try and see the difference for yourself.
Are you frustrated with tiles that are supposed to be clean and shiny but look dull and yellow? The cause of this unsightly appearance is soap scum, a stubborn layer that develops from the residue of soaps and shampoos. It clings to your tiles, making them appear dirty and aged. However, we have the perfect solution: MARBLELIFE Soap Scum Remover. This incredible product will restore your tiles to their original sparkle and shine. It works by dissolving soap scum and lifting it off the surface, and you can hear and feel it working. No more tedious scrubbing and wasting time! Spray, wipe, and enjoy your beautiful tiles.
You might think using cleaners will make your tiles look better, but sometimes they can do the opposite. Some cleaners have chemicals that can react with the tile materials and change their color. Such chemicals can make your tiles look yellow or faded. You must use the right cleaners for your tiles to avoid this. And we have them for you, MARBLELIFE specialty cleaners. Our scientifically formulated cleaners tackle the most common causes of tile discoloration, such as hard water, soap scum, mold, and mildew. They are also safe and gentle on your tiles and won't damage their surface or seal. Once you use them, you will see the difference. Your tiles will look clean and bright again. And to keep them that way, you need to use our MARBLELIFE all-in-one cleaner. It will prevent dirt and wax buildup on your tiles and make them easy to maintain.
1. Regular Cleaning: It is essential to establish a cleaning routine to maintain your shower tiles. Regular cleaning can help remove dirt, soap residues, and mineral deposits that may cause discoloration.
For best results, clean your surfaces with a gentle, surfactant-based cleaner designed for the type of surface you're working with. We recommend using products like MARBLELIFE Marble & Travertine Cleaner, MARBLELIFE Granite & Quartz Cleaner, or our most popular shower daily cleaner, MARBLELIFE Tile & Grout Cleaner. These cleaners effectively clean your surfaces deeply without introducing unnecessary wax or oils that could damage your surfaces. After cleaning, rinse your surfaces thoroughly to prevent any residue.
2. Squeegee Post-Shower: How would you like a sparkling clean shower without scrubbing or using harsh chemicals? Sounds too good to be true. Well, it's not. All you need is a simple tool you might already have in your home: a squeegee.
A squeegee is a device with a flat blade that can wipe away water from smooth surfaces. By using a squeegee to clear water off tiles after showering, you can prevent excessive moisture that can cause mold and mildew to grow. Mold and mildew need standing water to thrive, and they can stain your tiles and grout with unsightly black spots. Not to mention, they can also pose health risks for you and your family.
Another benefit of using a squeegee is that it can prevent hard water stains from forming on your tiles. Hard water stains are caused by minerals in the water that are left behind when the water evaporates. They can make your tiles look dull and dirty and be hard to remove. A squeegee can help you avoid this problem by removing the water before it evaporates, leaving your tiles shiny and spotless.
Using a squeegee only takes a few seconds, saving you much time and hassle in the long run. You won't have to deal with moldy, scummy, or stained tiles ever again. You'll have a shower that looks and smells fresh and inviting every day.
But don't take our word for it. Try it for yourself and see the difference. We challenge you to take the clean-shower challenge and use a squeegee every time you shower for a week. You'll be amazed by the results. And if you want to make it more fun, you can involve your family members and assign each one to a bathroom. The one who fails to use the squeegee has to clean the showers for the rest of the month. How's that for motivation?
Of course, we know that not everyone will follow this simple tip, no matter how effective. That's why we have created the MARBLELIFE Mold & Mildew Stain Remover Cleaner and the MARBLELIFE Soap Scum Remover. These are specially formulated products that can help you get rid of mold, mildew, and soap scum from your tiles and grout with ease. They are safe, gentle, and eco-friendly and work wonders on any tile.
3. Ensure Proper Ventilation: When taking a shower, it's advisable to use an exhaust fan, add another fan, increase the throughput of an existing fan, or keep a window open to prevent excess moisture. Adequate airflow is crucial in minimizing moisture, which can cause mold growth and other unfavorable conditions that result from prolonged dampness.
It's also essential to review the family shower schedule. If everyone showers in the morning, the shower is likely to have enough time to dry out. However, if three family members take a shower 8 hours apart, the shower may never get dry. Having people use different showers can also help, but that may not always be feasible. Recognizing what has changed should include this possibility. Whether one can or wants to change is a different question and challenge altogether.
4. Seal Your Tiles and Grout: Sealing is an excellent way to safeguard your tiles and grout from stains and yellowing. It keeps everything on the surface, accelerating the drying time as the water stays on the surface, where airflow can assist more efficiently rather than seeping into the grout pores. MARBLELIFE provides two types of sealers, namely, MARBLELIFE GROUT SEALER and MARBLELIFE STONE SEALERS, which can be used for this purpose. Moreover, if you want to change the grout color, MARBLELIFE COLORSEAL, which re-accentuates your bathroom and imparts a sealing benefit, can be an ideal solution.
5. Tile Shapes and Types: Tile floor patterns and angles can significantly affect the water drainage rates in a bathroom or shower. Replacing hexagonal tiles with long, thin tiles that run perpendicular to a bar drain across the shower floor can facilitate water drainage. Additionally, angling the floor to slope downhill towards the drain can further improve the drainage. Tiles with square or hexagonal shapes tend to create grout barriers that impede water flow and increase moisture retention in the space. Although this may not be suitable for everyday improvements, if you plan on renovating your bathroom or shower, you'll be amazed at the positive impact it can have.
6. Senior-Friendly Space: As we approach retirement age, it's essential to start making our homes more senior-friendly. One simple modification that can help achieve this is replacing the traditional shower curtain or glass enclosure with a walk-in shower design. This upgrade provides many benefits. Firstly, it improves air circulation and speeds up drying time by making the area less closed and more open. Secondly, it's much safer and easier for seniors to use.
MARBLELIFE Grout Sealers provide extra protection, ensuring that your tiles remain more resistant to stains from the outside.
The design of your shower can have a significant impact on the occurrence of mold, mildew, and hard water stains. If you don't want to deal with these problems, remodeling your shower may be a good idea.
7. Be Cautious with Cleaning Agents: It is crucial to avoid using acidic chemicals to maintain the appearance of your tiles. Acidic cleaners can cause harm to the surface of the tiles, leading to discoloration over time, especially on marble, travertine, and limestone. Furthermore, acidic cleaners can remove the seal on granite and grout surfaces. Therefore, always consider using pH-neutral cleaners that are safe for your tiles and won't cause any damage.
At MARBLELIFE, we have over 30 years of experience in the industry, which has given us a deep understanding of the requirements of different surfaces. This knowledge guides us to provide non-acidic products that leave no residue and are tailored specifically to meet your needs.
To view our range of products, click here.
8. Address Hard Water Issues: Hard water contains minerals that can settle on tiles, leading to a yellowish hue. If your water supply is hard, consider investing in a water softener. It reduces mineral content, curbing tile discoloration due to mineral deposits.
Yellowed tiles can be a stark reminder of our bathroom surfaces' daily challenges. If you're reading this, you're likely facing the reality of discolored tiles. The question then arises: What can be done now?
Perhaps you've already tried a few home remedies or are considering diving into DIY solutions. But before you do, let's weigh the benefits of professional intervention:
Why MARBLELIFE? - As North America's largest stone and tile restoration company, we take a unique approach to our work. We use scientific principles to formulate our products and constantly learn, share, and grow our understanding of different shower configurations and situations nationwide. By sharing what we know with our entire system, we gain more experience conducting tests and confirming. This approach helps us provide guidance and consultations to address immediate symptoms, facilitate cleaning, and modify the environment to reduce the frequency of issues and cleaning. With our expertise, we can help you keep your stone and tile surfaces looking their best.
Engaging with professionals, especially from an established name like MARBLELIFE, means:
With MARBLELIFE's suite of services, every surface issue finds its solution. Whether cleaning, repair, restoration, or sealing, we cater to all your needs, ensuring your surfaces are in prime condition.